"To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations--such is a pleasure beyond compare."
- Swiss arrests over Fifa 'corruption' Wed, 27 May 2015 06:54:37 GMT
- Six football officials are arrested in Zurich, Switzerland, over corruption allegations involving the sport's world governing body Fifa.
- Hamas accused of Gaza rights abuses Wed, 27 May 2015 06:48:32 GMT
- Hamas committed serious human rights abuses including killings and torture of Palestinian civilians in 2014, Amnesty International says.
- Cold sore virus 'treats skin cancer' Tue, 26 May 2015 22:43:16 GMT
- A genetically engineered version of a virus that normally causes cold sores shows real promise for treating skin cancer, say researchers.
- Gunmen die in Taliban Kabul attack Wed, 27 May 2015 04:21:58 GMT
- Four militants who attacked a guesthouse in Kabul's diplomatic quarter die after a gun battle lasting at least six hours, police say.
- EU to give migrant quota plan details Wed, 27 May 2015 04:58:00 GMT
- The EU is to announce details of controversial plans to relocate thousands of migrants who have reached Europe from Africa and the Middle East.
- China arrests over stolen artefacts Wed, 27 May 2015 04:56:55 GMT
- Chinese police take 175 people into custody and recover stolen artefacts worth more than 500m yuan ($80m; £52m), calling it the biggest operation of its kind.
- India heatwave toll passes 1,000 Tue, 26 May 2015 18:13:14 GMT
- The death toll in the heatwave sweeping India passes 1,000, with temperatures nearing 50C (122F) in some areas.
- Dutton warns on militants' children Wed, 27 May 2015 04:54:15 GMT
- The children of Australian terror suspects could be taken into care, Immigration Minister Peter Dutton says, as the government proposes changes to citizenship laws.
- Southern US flooding toll rises Wed, 27 May 2015 05:48:42 GMT
- At least 17 people are killed and dozens injured in the US states of Oklahoma and Texas following record rainfall over the weekend.
- Libya PM 'escapes assassination bid' Tue, 26 May 2015 20:37:12 GMT
- Libyan Prime Minister Abdullah al-Thinni says he has survived an assassination attempt after his car was attacked by gunmen in the eastern city of Tobruk.
- Iraq starts anti-IS Anbar offensive Tue, 26 May 2015 16:26:59 GMT
- Pro-government forces in Iraq launch an operation to drive Islamic State out of the western province of Anbar, days after the fall of Ramadi.
- Nepal seeks expert advice on tourism Wed, 27 May 2015 00:45:23 GMT
- Tourism operators in earthquake-hit Nepal seek guidance from international experts on which areas can be declared safe for trekking and mountaineering.
- VIDEO: Where war still rages in eastern Ukraine Tue, 26 May 2015 22:24:24 GMT
- The conflict in Ukraine is entering its second year and a ceasefire, nominally in place since February, has failed to stop the violence in areas around Donetsk airport.
- VIDEO: 'Relentless rain' sparks US flash floods Tue, 26 May 2015 21:49:30 GMT
- Extreme weather has been wreaking havoc in the US, where 16 people have been killed by storms in Oklahoma and Texas.
- VIDEO: What is the Queen's Speech? Tue, 26 May 2015 11:10:21 GMT
- Ellie Price delivers a quick guide to the Queen's Speech.