"Under any conditions, anywhere, whatever you are doing, there is some ordinance under which you can be booked."
—Robert D. Sprecht
- Sony hack is 'US security issue' Thu, 18 Dec 2014 22:48:12 GMT
- The cyber attack on Sony that forced a major film release to be pulled is being viewed as a national security matter, the White House says.
- Kurds 'break IS mountain siege' Thu, 18 Dec 2014 22:32:37 GMT
- Kurdish forces in northern Iraq say they have broken the IS siege of Mount Sinjar, claiming their biggest victory yet against the militants.
- Carbon mission returns global maps Thu, 18 Dec 2014 22:36:20 GMT
- Nasa's Orbiting Carbon Observatory produces its first global maps of carbon dioxide in Earth's atmosphere.
- Israel brands peace plan 'gimmick' Thu, 18 Dec 2014 23:14:29 GMT
- Israel says a Palestinian effort to set a three-year deadline for it to end its occupation of Palestinian territories is a "gimmick".
- Putin seeks to ease economic fears Thu, 18 Dec 2014 12:32:43 GMT
- President Vladimir Putin seeks to ease fears over Russia's economy, insisting that the dramatic fall in the rouble will stabilise.
- US Congress threat to Cuba thaw Thu, 18 Dec 2014 18:55:31 GMT
- Opponents of President Barack Obama's new Cuba policy threaten to block his efforts to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years of hostility.
- '200 villagers' kidnapped in Nigeria Thu, 18 Dec 2014 18:47:28 GMT
- Militants storm a remote village in north-eastern Nigeria, killing at least 33 people and kidnapping about 200, a survivor tells the BBC.
- Obesity 'could be a disability' - EU Thu, 18 Dec 2014 13:26:29 GMT
- Obesity can constitute a disability if the health effects have an impact on people's working lives, the European Court of Justice rules.
- Swiss interest rate to turn negative Thu, 18 Dec 2014 13:57:25 GMT
- Switzerland's National Bank says it will introduce in a negative interest rate on cash deposits of more than $10m.
- Pakistan bails Mumbai attack suspect Thu, 18 Dec 2014 13:12:42 GMT
- A man accused of masterminding the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks, which left 165 people dead. is granted bail by a court in Pakistan.
- Wilders faces charges of incitement Thu, 18 Dec 2014 11:51:11 GMT
- Dutch far-right politician Geert Wilders is to be tried on charges of inciting racial hatred against Moroccans in a speech, the authorities say.
- Italian film star Lisi dies aged 78 Thu, 18 Dec 2014 14:44:59 GMT
- Italian screen actress Virna Lisi, famed in the 1960s for appearing opposite stars including Frank Sinatra, dies at the age of 78.
- VIDEO: CAR: Child soldier numbers 'doubles' Thu, 18 Dec 2014 20:47:14 GMT
- International relief organisations say thousands of children have been recruited as child soldiers in the Central African Republic.
- VIDEO: Sony scraps The Interview worldwide Thu, 18 Dec 2014 22:25:28 GMT
- A cyber attack on Sony Pictures that forced the cancellation of a major film release is being seen as a serious national security matter, the US says.
- VIDEO: Historic portraits with a modern twist Thu, 18 Dec 2014 21:24:18 GMT
- Senegalese photographer Omar Victor Diop tells Focus on Africa why he reinvented some historic paintings with a playful touch of his very own.