"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them."
—Mark Twain (1835-1910) [Samuel Langhorne Clemens] American author, humorist
- Crowds celebrate Mandela's life Fri, 06 Dec 2013 22:18:28 GMT
- Across South Africa, people are gathering to celebrate the life of the country's first black president, Nelson Mandela, who has died aged 95.
- 'Hundreds dead' in CAR violence Fri, 06 Dec 2013 22:54:53 GMT
- At least 300 people have been killed in two days of violence in the Central African Republic capital, Bangui, the Red Cross says.
- Spain face Dutch in repeat of final Fri, 06 Dec 2013 19:03:38 GMT
- Spain will open their defence of the World Cup against 2010 finalists Netherlands at next year's tournament in Brazil.
- Arrests over Mexico radiation truck Fri, 06 Dec 2013 23:23:40 GMT
- Six men are detained in central Mexico over the robbery earlier this week of a truck containing radioactive material from a hospital.
- Jazz pianist Stan Tracey dies at 86 Fri, 06 Dec 2013 18:06:46 GMT
- British pianist Stan Tracey, one of the greats of the jazz world, dies at the age of 86.
- Deadly storm lashes northern Europe Fri, 06 Dec 2013 18:15:37 GMT
- Hurricane-force winds and tidal surges kill at least seven people in northern Europe, flood parts of Hamburg and leave thousands without power.
- US jobless rate falls to 5-year low Fri, 06 Dec 2013 19:10:35 GMT
- The US unemployment rate fell to a five-year low of 7% in November as firms created 203,000 new jobs, latest figures show.
- Marine 'devastated' at life sentence Fri, 06 Dec 2013 17:12:13 GMT
- A British Royal Marine who murdered insurgent in Afghanistan says he is "devastated" at being given a life sentence.
- Russia and Ukraine seek partnership Fri, 06 Dec 2013 16:33:12 GMT
- The Ukrainian and Russian presidents hold surprise talks on a "strategic partnership treaty" a week after Ukraine shelved a key deal with the EU.
- Russia investigates crash jet pilot Fri, 06 Dec 2013 17:56:10 GMT
- Investigators in Russia examine whether the pilot of an airliner which crashed near Kazan with no survivors had a valid pilot's licence.
- Samsung and Philips raided by EU Fri, 06 Dec 2013 15:26:06 GMT
- Samsung and Philips are among several consumer electronics companies raided by the European Commission over suspected breaches of competition rules.
- Dylan's guitar sells for $965k Fri, 06 Dec 2013 20:42:14 GMT
- The electric guitar played by Bob Dylan at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival sells at auction in New York for a record $965,000 (£591,000).
- VIDEO: Deadly storm kills several in Europe Fri, 06 Dec 2013 16:27:06 GMT
- Hurricane-force winds and tidal surges have killed at least seven people in northern Europe, flooded parts of Hamburg and left thousands of homes without electricity.
- VIDEO: Dylan guitar sells for nearly $1m Fri, 06 Dec 2013 23:23:49 GMT
- The electric guitar played by Bob Dylan at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival has been sold at auction in New York for a record $965,000 (£591,000).
- VIDEO: Identical triplets born in California Fri, 06 Dec 2013 21:39:12 GMT
- A couple in northern California beat what doctors say are a million to one odds with the birth of identical triplets.