"If I have not read a book before, it is, for all intents and purposes, new to me whether it was printed yesterday or three hundred years ago."
—William Hazlitt (1778-1830) British essayist noted for literary criticism
- Ukraine 'slipping out of control' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 18:09:30 GMT
- The Ukraine crisis is "slipping out of control", Germany's foreign minister warns as EU leaders prepare to discuss new sanctions against Russia.
- UK's terror threat level raised Fri, 29 Aug 2014 18:04:29 GMT
- The UK's terror threat level is raised from "substantial" to "severe" in response to conflicts in Iraq and Syria, the government announces.
- Test Ebola drug '100% effective' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:00:16 GMT
- The only trial data on the experimental Ebola drug ZMapp shows it is 100% effective in monkey studies, even in later stages of the infection.
- Kurds 'take Iraq oilfields from IS' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 15:07:59 GMT
- Kurdish forces say they have retaken oilfields near Mosul in north Iraq from Islamic State, but retreating militants blow up three installations.
- Iceland lowers volcano ash alert Fri, 29 Aug 2014 12:03:41 GMT
- The Icelandic Met Office lowers its aviation warning from red to orange near the Bardarbunga volcano, which saw an eruption begin overnight.
- More than 3m have fled Syria - UN Fri, 29 Aug 2014 08:02:53 GMT
- The UN says Syria is now "the biggest humanitarian emergency of our era" with more than three million Syrians living outside the country as refugees.
- More defectors to UKIP 'odds on' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 16:36:08 GMT
- Further Conservative MPs are "more likely than not" to defect to UKIP, says the party's treasurer Stuart Wheeler.
- Brazil's economy enters recession Fri, 29 Aug 2014 13:54:17 GMT
- A contraction of 0.6% in Brazil's economy between April and June, and a revision of the first quarter, has pushed the country into recession, latest figures show.
- Malaysia Airlines to cut 6,000 staff Fri, 29 Aug 2014 10:31:24 GMT
- Malaysia Airlines is to cut 6,000 staff as part of recovery plan after being hit by two air disasters this year.
- Google trials drone deliveries Thu, 28 Aug 2014 22:00:23 GMT
- Google reveals it has built and tested its own drones as part of a plan to make automated deliveries to remote homes as well as disaster-hit zones.
- US steps up sanctions over Iran Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:54:03 GMT
- The US has imposed new sanctions on companies and individuals in connection with Iran's nuclear programme.
- Belafonte to receive honorary Oscar Fri, 29 Aug 2014 09:26:52 GMT
- US actor and singer Harry Belafonte is to be honoured by the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences.
- VIDEO: 100-year-old tortoise is on the move Fri, 29 Aug 2014 05:06:41 GMT
- An extremely rare Galapagos tortoise thought to be 100 years old has been given a new home at a zoo in Ohio.
- VIDEO: Song of a four-storey 'earth harp' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 00:31:30 GMT
- William Close is the inventor of the 'Earth Harp', a musical instrument which makes use of the architecture around it to create its sound.
- VIDEO: Brazil dismantles Amazon 'destroyers' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 03:22:05 GMT
- Police in northern Brazil say they are in the process of dismantling one of the country's biggest environmental criminal gangs.